Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Trust in me!

There's this restaurant i go to quite often and being as absent minded as i am i tend to forget my purse quite often.The first time i did that i called my roomie who had to bike all the way there to pay my bill.The second time it happened my usual waiter was there so i slipped out and got back home and got my purse. Today however was a different story.

Midway through my meal i discovered to a feeling of inevitability that my purse was not in my pocket. My first backup plan was to call my roomie but for some reason he did not pick up. I looked around for the waiter i knew and he found a very convenient time to not be around! Damn.. I hadn't a clue what to do.

So i tried something different.In the adjacent table were four guys who were tearing into a chicken like rabid dogs.So i caught the attention of the apparent group leader, a 6 foot plus guy with an extremely large build and explained my situation to him and asked if he could pay my bill . To my pleasant surprise he asked me how much i wanted and took out his purse.I got the money and paid the bill at which point my trusty waiter showed his face again. Talk about being like the police in a Kollywood flick.Arriving after the action is over.
Well i went home and promptly returned to pay the guy back and went on my way thanking my stars that i didn't have to grind flour at the restaurant.

I then realised that what i did could be a pretty good scam and could be used to get free food every day :) Maybe the amount in question was trivial but what struck me was how the guy could just trust a stranger who was dressed in a sleeveless T with shorts and disheveled hair ( all the appearances of someone shady) . It felt good that a person actually trusts his fellow man and this is a breath of fresh air in a world filled with lies ,corruption and hate.

I feel though that people are more trustworthy than they are trusting and thus we fail to see the goodness in others.Well my experience was the opposite and i hope this trend continues.If i want to augment it i have to make a start myself and start trusting people a bit more and you can too.. Theres still hope for the human race!


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

thts really thot provoking!!!!

John Doe said...

glad it has the desired effect :)

Anonymous said...

do u always learn a lesson frm everythin tht happens 2 u?!?! yr life must b lke goin 2 a borin school:P!!

John Doe said...

u do too i guess..u just don know it ..

Anonymous said...

yr right, i do....but i aint as generous as u cz i don blog abt stuff i learn:P:P

Anonymous said...

nice one sweetie.. :)

John Doe said...

names please :)

Da Rodent said...

Hmm, I guess the guy who helped you out would have been in a similar situation before.. :P

John Doe said...

@rodent... yeah i guess so..could be...in which case his action would indicate that someone had helped him out in his time of need :)

Gayatri Bhadran said...

thats a nice story.

but NO, i will NOT trust people =P

John Doe said...

some people are worth taking a chance on

Annie Theogaraj said...

I wish Jason Duckruz to be around whenever I go for shopping as well.If you're able to trust a stranger you've to trust me rite?

John Doe said...

@annie....nosirreee :)