Sunday, May 25, 2008

The Gift

Ever tried to make an impression to a girl? In school you would probably have pinched her cheeks and put bits of paper in her hair.Progress a bit to college and it becomes riding in on a macho bike and splashing cash in the cafeteria.Moving on a bit further to the work place it becomes dressing in "smart casuals" as has become the trend and talking the big talk and selling ideas to the boss.

I had my chance a couple of Sundays ago.There i was sitting on a bench minding my own business when this drop-dead-gorgeous girl came up and sat next to me.She took a while to settle down and we turned to each other simultaneously and smiled.First contact.She seemed a nice person but both of us sat still for the next fifteen minutes and looked straight ahead at a person talking some way off.I look back and wonder why i sat still then.I guess it was because we were not alone and i was conscious of others around.Or maybe it could have been because we were in church!!

Now the place of God is not ideal for making a first impression but when you are put in such a situation you make do with what you have and try to make the best of it.So i began act one of my play . I started to sing.It was about all i could do.For people who haven't attended a mass in church let me tell you that there are songs called hymns which are sung throughout the duration of the mass.Some are traditional whereas a few have incredibly catchy tunes.

So i sang and to my my pleasant surprise so did she.And what a voice she had! I had a eargasm then and there!! She was brilliant! Now i am not bad myself so decided to try and match her.I usually sing in church but this time i did so with a lot of gusto till it became a singing contest.I won't tell you who won but suffice to know that i came out of it a lot better than expected.And as suddenly as it had begun it ended.The mass got over and she walked out and i was too busy singing to notice.

Looking back i think that i should have done something .Maybe i should have followed her and asked her if she would sing for me over a cup of coffee.I notice that i often do this.I often think of what could have been rather than living the moment.You cannot correct what has gone on in the past but you can sure make a better effort going forward.Instead of looking back at what might have been try to enjoy the here and now.Its a great way to live.Living for the moment is a wonderful gift.

I like to call it the present.

13 comments:

Gayatri Bhadran said...

eargasm! excellent word.. =P

at least she comes to the same church as you.. so fret not! look forward to your next trip to the house of God.

John Doe said...

tx :) but its not an original...heard someone using it...

and this happ 3 weeks ago..haven seen her since :(

but god works in mysterious ways ;-)

Unknown said...

interesting! It would be cool if she chances on this very article! Now that would be the work of the almighty:)

Anonymous said...

tht was very interesting to read :) church..next seat..smiles..song :) quite movie types yaar:) but guess she s ur type of gal nd u meet her again :)

John Doe said...

@sunitha....yeah that wud be weird! but nice.so tell everyone u know bout this article :)

@ramya....tx.n i don quite know if shes my type of gal.thats wat i missed finding out

Anonymous said...

I don't think it would be weird! I think if something like that does happen, one would be made to believe that there is something truly magical about life:) But i guess, for that to happen, you need to believe the possibility of it happening!

John Doe said...

life is magical..even without such things happening...but ya i secretly wish it would happen :-)

Da Rodent said...

you did not see her leave??? bah. anywayz, here is a line that worked for me in church.. ".. god just told me that if I ask you out right now, you'll definitely agree.. "

John Doe said...

good one!! tx for dat :)

Anonymous said...

hahaha.......good! hope u never c her again:D

Alister Danniells said...

OK...you need some better lines. My suggestions

>> Faint on her, tell her that you were fasting for the whole day & just fainted. Playin the religious card helps

>> Just scream some foul language & blame the guy at the side of you or worse still, fart & make a face at her asking her to behave

>> Share an hymn book with her...First contact !!

>> Stop smiling when you meet someone...give them the bad arse look. Something on the lines where you are a serial killer looking for the next victim

>> Act like Jesus (apologies in advance to all the sensitive kind). Ask her to confess her sins to ya.

Can you try these & let me know...would luv to see what happens

John Doe said...

Nice ones alley-cat!

Have tried some of dem..not the JEsus one tho :)

berty ashley said...

an eargasm in church??. Is lord John Petrucci got something do with this?. naaa.. not going to help you....

forget it.. ask the guys!! (like moi!) ;)

you track her down mate! she must have come with someone!.. and now ist xmas.. dress up as santa and get some mistletoe ready!.. and lets see who's nose gets red. :)